Previous Issues | Current Headlines | Point of View | Obituaries

AAA Expects Memorial Day Weekend Auto Travel To Rise 1.2%

AAA projects that 34.8 million Americans will travel 50 miles or more from home during the Memorial Day holiday weekend — an increase of 1.2 percent, or 500,000 travelers, from the 34.30 million people who traveled a year ago. Additionally, the average distance traveled by Americans during the holiday weekend is expected to be 642 miles, which is 150 miles less than last year.

Roughly 30.70 million people plan to drive to their destination — an increase of 1.2 percent from the 30.30 million who drove last year. Automobile travel will account for 88 percent of all holiday travel.

A survey of intended travelers found that 53 percent said recent increases in gasoline prices would not impact their Memorial Day holiday travel plans. Of the remaining 47 percent who said gas prices would impact their plans, 9 percent are planning to take a shorter trip, 4 percent will travel by an alternate mode of transportation, and 34 percent will economize in other areas, including lower spending on entertainment, staying at a lower-priced hotel and staying with friends and relatives instead of reserving a hotel room.

AAA reports that the current national average price for a gallon of regular gasoline is approximately $0.25 lower than this time last year.

Back To Story List

DASH4 BANNER (2) 2015