The consumer-focused auto repair and maintenance information service RepairPal has added a Top Shop designation to its repair shop listings. Participating shops must pay a monthly fee to be part listed as a Top Shop, and they must meet — and maintain — certain criteria to be in the program. This assessment is conducted and scored by RepairPal’s ASE-certified Master Technicians. According to RepairPal, this includes an assessment of all aspects of the shop covering …
• The experience, certification and training of every person in the shop, including each technician;
• The diagnostic equipment used;
• The quality of the parts used in repairs;
• The use of the right tools and equipment needed for quality repairs; and
• The shop’s business practices and systems, including the warranty provided on work performed.
Additionally, the company says interviews are conducted of a shop’s customers, starting with a complete list of the shop’s recent customers to get an impartial and accurate view of real customer satisfaction. RepairPal also works to ensure that the shop will charge fair prices, by having it agree to charge prices within the range of RepairPal’s RepairPrice Estimator. The company also requires the shop to warrant a repair (parts and labor) for a minimum of 12 months or 12,000 miles.
The program is initially available only to independent repair shops. Later this year, Emeryville, CA-based RepairPal plans to expand Top Shop to car dealers as well.